Therapeutic Crisis Intervention
The Therapeutic Crisis Intervention (TCI) system developed at Cornell University, New York, provides a model for dealing with potentially violent young people. The programme provides staff with the skills, knowledge and confidence to prevent, de-escalate and manage challenging behaviour and potential crisis situations. TCI is also accredited by the British Institute of Learning Disability (BILD).
In advance of training our consultants will meet with organisation staff to carry out a behavioural audit in order to ascertain the level and extent of training appropriate to service requirements.
THE FOLLOWING ARE COMPONENTS OF THE TCI SYSTEM
- TCI Core training (3 days – NON-PHYSICAL) This course will provide a structure to increase understanding of young people’s challenging behaviour as well as providing staff with the tools needed to prevent, deescalate and manage crisis situations. It will also present a therapeutic approach to helping young people learn effective and constructive ways of dealing with difficult emotions.
- TCI Training (5 days – Levels 1 and 2) This course includes core training (as above) and includes a number of physical intervention options to manage violent behaviour.
- Individual Crisis Management Planning (1 Day) This course will enable staff to assess risk and develop individual crisis management plans for young people in their service.
- The Post Crisis Multi-Level Response Workshop (Debriefing) (2 Days) This course addresses the emotional needs staff may have when managing aggressive young people and how frontline staff can be supported. Supervisors will learn how to provide ongoing support and conduct debriefing sessions with individual staff members and teams.
- TCI for Young People with Developmental Disabilities (1 day) This module is a one day addition to the core training aimed at staff working with young people with developmental disabilities and challenging behaviour. It will provide staff with additional training to meet the special needs of this group of young people.
- TCI Refresher Training (1 day) In order to retain certification participants must undertake refresher training for one day every six months. Standard Refreshers can be provided or Refreshers can be tailored to meet specific needs within individual services.
TCI CONSULTANCY SERVICES
- Practice Review
- Policy Development and Implementation
- Establishment of Monitoring and Recording Systems
- External Monitoring
- Trainer Coaching and Mentoring
In addition to the above, Connexion offer the following services to organisations in order to assist with the effective implementation and use of the TCI system: